One area of research at the George H.W. Bush Combat Development Complex is coordinated air-ground vehicle maneuvering. This focus area aids the understanding and development of methods and technologies that advance future unmanned vehicle systems operating in the air, on the ground or in maritime environments.
The goal is to help facilitate effective intelligent vehicle interactions with service members to foster the trust essential to forming efficient teams. Successful, intelligent vehicles will increase unit capabilities, situational awareness, mobility, and speed of action. The objective of this research is to produce demonstratable technologies that enable coordinated movement, via shared situational awareness of a team of air and ground vehicles across rough terrain, while avoiding obstacles, to accomplish a mission.
To talk, text and get around, people use cellular towers, fiber-optic lines and a global system of satellites. On the battlefield, the military has to bring its own system. Texas A&M University researchers are testing communication systems, taking advantage of the agile experimenting process and their expertise in autonomous vehicles technology.
- Maneuver, Aviation, and Soldier Division of the Army Capabilities Integration Center. The U.S. Army Robotic and Autonomous Systems Strategy, March 2017. Distribution A.
- Hassen, S., Chour, K., Weaver, A., and Gopalswamy, S., “Nonlinear Control of a Ground Vehicle using Data-Driven Dynamic Models”, SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0171, 2020.
- L. Shangguan, J. A. Thomasson and S. Gopalswamy, ““Motion Planning for Autonomous Grain Carts”,” in IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 2112-2123, March 2021, doi: 10.1109/TVT.2021.3058274.
- S. Mishra, P. R. Osteen, G. Pandey, and S. Saripalli, ““Experimental evaluation of 3d-lidar camera extrinsic calibration”,” arXiv preprint arXiv:2007.01959, 2020.
- S. Mishra, G. Pandey, and S. Saripalli, ““Extrinsic Calibration of a 3D-LIDAR and a Camera”,” arXiv preprint arXiv:2003.01213, 2020. F-5
- T. Overbye and S. Saripalli, “Path Optimization for Ground Vehicles in Off-Road Terrain”, p. arXiv:2101.00769. [Online].
- P. Jiang and S. Saripalli, ““LiDARNet: A Boundary-Aware Domain Adaptation Model for Lidar Point Cloud Semantic Segmentation”,” arXiv preprint arXiv:2003.01174, 2020.
- P. Jiang, P. Osteen, M. Wigness, and S. Saripalli, ““RELLIS-3D Dataset: Data,
Benchmarks and Analysis”,” arXiv preprint arXiv:2011.12954, 2020.
- T. Overbye and S. Saripalli, ““Fast Local Planning and Mapping in Unknown Off-Road Terrain”,” in 2020 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2020: IEEE, pp. 5912-5918.
- Nayak, A., Rathinam, S., Pike, A., and Gopalswamy, S., “Reference Test System for Machine Vision Used for ADAS Functions”, SAE Technical Paper 2020-01-0096, 2020.