Laser diagnostics for hypersonics and directed energy research at the George H.W. Bush Combat Development Complex focuses on the maturation and application of novel energetic methods to provide revolutionary performance capabilities.
The objective is to develop and implement laser technologies for hypersonic and directed energy applications.
Dr. Richard Miles
O’Donnell Foundation Chair V/University Distinguished Professor, Aerospace Engineering
Texas A&M University researchers are working on a system to counteract laser refraction by using adaptive optics. Astronomers developed adaptive optics to clear the clutter out of telescopic images. Sophisticated, changeable mirrors correct for distortions in the atmosphere, sharpening the images until observers can see fine details of faint objects.
- Jagannathan, S., and Donzis, D. A. “Reynolds and Mach Number Scaling in Solenoidally-Forced Compressible Turbulence Using High-Resolution Direct Numerical Simulations.” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 789, 2016, pp. 669–707.
- Donzis, D. A., and John, J. P. “Universality and Scaling in Homogeneous Compressible Turbulence.” Physical Review Fluids, Vol. 5, No. 8, 2020, pp. 1–22.
- Donzis, D. A., and Jagannathan, S. “Fluctuations of Thermodynamic Variables in Stationary Compressible Turbulence.” Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 733, 2013, pp. 221–244.
- Kumari, K., Bhattacharya, R., and Donzis, D. A. “A Unified Approach for Deriving Optimal Finite Differences.” Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 399, 2019, p. 108957.
- Finkelstein, N. D., Yalin, A. P., Lempert, W. R., and Miles, R. B. “Dispersion Filter for Spectral and Spatial Resolution of Pure Rotational Raman Scattering.” Optics Letters, Vol. 23, No. 20, 1998, p. 1615.
- Miles, R. B., Michael, J. B., Limbach, C. M., McGuire, S. D., Chng, T. L., Edwards, M. R., DeLuca, N. J., Shneider, M. N., and Dogariu, A. “New Diagnostic Methods for Laser Plasma- and Microwave-Enhanced Combustion.” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, Vol. 373, No. 2048, 2015, p.20140338.
- Wu, P., Lempert, W. L., and Miles, R. B. “Megahertz Pulse-Burst Laser and Visualization of Shock-Wave/Boundary-Layer Interaction.” AIAA Journal, Vol. 38, No. 4, 2000, pp. 672–679.
- Miles, R. B. Absorption Line Filter Window And Method For Velocity Measurements By Light Scattering, US 4988190 A, 1991.
- Yalin, A., Lempert, W., Etz, M., Erbland, P., Smits, A., and Miles, R. “Planar Imaging in a Mach 8 Flow Using Sodium Laser-Induced Fluorescence.” Advanced Measurement and
Ground Testing Conference, 1996.
- Dogariu, L. E., Dogariu, A., Miles, R. B., Smith, M. S., and Marineau, E. C. “Non-Intrusive Hypersonic Freestream and Turbulent Boundary-Layer Velocity Measurements in AEDC Tunnel 9 Using FLEET.” 2018 AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, No. 210059, 2018.